Mo Farah wins first 10km Great Manchester Run ahead of Moses Kipsiro

Mo Farah wins first 10km Great Manchester Run ahead of Moses Kipsiro
Great Manchester Run: Mo Farah wins first 10km Great Manchester Run

Britain’s Olympic and world 10,000m champion Mo Farah said he felt “tired” after his first victory in the 10km Great Manchester Run.

Farah, who finished third at the London Marathon last month, raced past Ugandan Moses Kipsiro with 100 metres left to win in 28 minutes 27 seconds.

Abel Kirui of Kenya finished third, 25 seconds behind Farah.

Ethiopian Tirunesh Dibaba won her third straight women’s race, well ahead of Kenya’s Joyciline Jepkosgei.

In the men’s wheelchair race, Britain’s David Weir beat Johnboy Smith and Simon Lawson to win in 21 minutes 28 seconds.

In the women’s wheelchair race, Britain’s Liz McTernan was victorious in 34 minutes 20 seconds ahead of Heather Gilham and Lucy Keyworth.

Farah, who was appearing in the race for the first time since 2007, took part in a minute’s silence before the race in tribute to the 22 people who died in last year’s Manchester Arena bombing.

For most of the race, the 35-year-old looked comfortable in warm conditions as he kicked past Kipsiro with 100 metres to go.

But he said he was still recovering from breaking the British record at last month’s marathon – his first event over the distance since switching his focus to road racing.

“I’ve got great speed and I know that at the end of the races I can use it if the guys haven’t hurt me enough, so today was a matter of hanging in there,” he told BBC Sport.

“I was pretty tired. Having competed in the marathon not so long ago, today was hard work.”

Mo Farah leads Manchester bomb anniversary tribute

One of the first victims of Texas school gunman rejected the suspect before the attack

One of the first victims of Texas school gunman rejected the suspect before the attack

The mother of a student killed in a school shooting in Texas said her daughter had rejected the advances of suspected killer Dimitrios Pagourtzis, for four months prior to the attack. 

She said 16-year-old Shana Fisher was among the first to be killed in the shooting at Santa Fe High School, which left eight students and two teachers dead and more injured. 

Mother Sadie Rodriguez told the Los Angeles Times in private messages that her daughter had embarrassed the 17-year-old suspect in class by finally standing up to him, after putting up with his “aggressive” advances for months. 

“A week later he opens fire on everyone he didn’t like,” she said. “Shana being the first one.”

Multiple reports said the shooter focused on the art class where Shana had been, and many said he was taunting victims. 

Ms Rodriguez could not independently be reached for comment.

If the allegations prove to be true, it would be the second school shooting in recent months to be associated with such a rejection. 

In March, a 17-year-old Maryland high school student used his father’s gun to shoot and seriously wound a female student with whom he had been in a recently-ended relationship, police said.

Investigators have not yet announced an official motive of the shooting, which is the fourth-deadliest to take place at a US school in modern history.

Mr Pagourtzis confessed to the shooting on Saturday, according to police.

Students at Santa Fe High School described him as a quiet loner, who played on the school’s football team. 

Dressed in a black trench coat despite the hot Texas weather on Friday, he came to school with a pistol and shotgun for the attack. 

He began the attack by firing a shotgun through the window of an art class, according to reports, and lingered for about 30 minutes, during which time he fired more shots. 

One witness, student Breanna Quintanilla, was in art class when she heard the shots and someone say, “If you all move, I’m going to shoot you all,” according to Associated Press. 

Santa Fe High School student is asked if she thought a shooting would happen in her school

She said Mr Pagourtzis then walked in, pointed at one person and declared, “I’m going to kill you,” before shooting them.

“He then said that if the rest of us moved, he was going to shoot us,” Ms Quintanilla said.

When Ms Quintanilla tried to run out a back door, she realised Pagourtzis was aiming at her. He fired in her direction.

“He missed me,” she said. “But it went ahead and ricocheted and hit me in my right leg.” She was treated at a hospital and spoke with a brown bandage wrapped around her wound.

“It was a very scary thing,” Ms Quintanilla said. “I was worried that I wasn’t going to be able to make it back to my family.”

Mr Pagourtzis’s lawyer Nicholas Poehl said he had not revealed much about the shooting, adding: “Honestly because of his emotional state, I don’t have a lot on that.”

He added that he was investigating whether the suspect endured any “teacher on student” bullying, after reading reports of his client being mistreated by football coaches, but the school have denied anything of the sort.

 

According to his affidavit, Mr Pagourtzis said he avoided shooting students he liked “so he could have his story told”.

Republican Texas governor Jim Abbott told reporters that Mr Pagourtzis obtained firearms from his father, who had likely acquired them legally.

He added that Mr Pagourtzis had wanted to commit suicide, according to his journals, but did not have the courage to do so.

The suspect’s family said they were “saddened and dismayed” by the shooting and “as shocked as anyone else” as the actions seemed “incompatible with the boy we love”. They said they are cooperating with authorities.

Police said that Mr Pagourtzis was currently being held without bond. 

They said  homemade explosive devices were also found as part of the investigation, but that they were not capable of detonating. 

All schools in Santa Fe will be closed Monday and Tuesday, officials said.

The school’s grief was on display at an evening baseball game where Santa Fe players had crosses painted on their faces and the initials of shooting victims written on tape around their wrists. The team also fashioned a tape cross over the dugout with 10 sets of initials and the words “missed but never forgotten”.

The Santa Fe attack was the 22nd shooting at a school this year that led to someone being killed or injured, according to CNN. It came just months after the shooting in Parkland, Florida which left 17 dead.

The shootings have reignited debate about gun control laws.

Agencies contributed to this report.


First lady Melania Trump back home from hospital

First lady Melania Trump back home from hospital

First lady Melania Trump returned home to the White House Saturday morning following a days-long stay in the hospital, her office said.

Interested in Melania Trump?

Add Melania Trump as an interest to stay up to date on the latest Melania Trump news, video, and analysis from ABC News.

“She is resting comfortably and remains in high spirits,” the first lady’s communications director Stephanie Grisham said in a statement.

Trump underwent a medical procedure on Monday for what her office said was a “benign” kidney condition. The White House has declined to offer additional details about the specifics of the condition.

Grisham also expressed thanks for the thousands of calls and emails she said the first lady’s office received during Trump’s stay in the hospital.

First Lady Melania Trump returns home from the hospital after kidney procedure

First Lady Melania Trump returns home from the hospital after kidney procedure

U.S. first lady Melania Trump stands with President Donald Trump after he signed the Be Best initiative in the Rose Garden of the White House in Washington, U.S., May 7, 2018.










Kevin Lamarque | Reuters

U.S. first lady Melania Trump stands with President Donald Trump after he signed the Be Best initiative in the Rose Garden of the White House in Washington, U.S., May 7, 2018.

After spending several days in the hospital recovering from a kidney procedure, First Lady Melania Trump has been released, the White House said on Saturday.

In a statement, the White House said that “The First Lady returned home to the White House this morning. She is resting comfortably and remains in high spirits.”

Earlier this week, Melania Trump went under kidney surgery for a condition the White House characterized as benign. The first lady tweeted on Wednesday that she was in good health, as she recovered at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center in Bethesda.

“Our office has received thousands of calls and emails wishing Mrs. Trump well, and we thank everyone who has taken the time to reach out,” the White House said on Saturday.